Importing using the Browser Extension
The Clippings.io Chrome Extension allows you to import Kindle Highlights made on Amazon purchased books. If you want to import Kindle Highlights made on Personal Documents please see our Importing your My Clippings.txt file guide.
If you haven't installed the Clippings.io Chrome Extension please see our Installing the Chrome Extension guide.
Please watch our one minute video on importing your Kindle Highlights using the Chrome extension or follow the instructions below.
Navigating to the Amazon Kindle Highlights Page.
Launch the Browser extension by clicking the Clippings.io icon in the toolbar. If you are not already on the Amazon Kindle Highlights page you will be redirected.
Alternatively you can navigate directly to the Amazon Kindle Highlights Page in your browser.
If you can't see the Clippings.io Icon on your toolbar, ensure it is installed and pinned to your toolbar using the Installing the Chrome Extension guide.
- The Clippings.io Chrome Extension
- The Chrome Extension will redirect you to the Amazon Kindle Highlights page, if you are not already on it.
When you are redirected to Amazon, if you are not already signed into your account sign in.
- Enter your Amazon username and password.
After you have signed in your will be on the Amazon Highlights page.
Importing your Kindle Highlights
Importing your Kindle Highlights is really simple. When you are on the Kindle Highlights page you will see a prompt to click the Clippings.io Browser extension. Clicking the Browser Extension will open the Import Dialog.
- Prompt to click the Browser extension.
- Click the Clippings.io Browser Extension to open the Import Dialog.
When the Import Dialog opens simply select the books you want to import and click the Import button. You don't need to worry about importing the same book twice, Clippings.io will automatically ignore any highlights you have imported previously and only import the new highlights.
- Clicking the All button selects all your books. All of your books with be imported when you click the import button. Clicking the Not Imported button only selects books which have highlights made since your last import. Using this option is the fastest way of importing your Highlights because you are ignoring books you have already imported.
- Can can also search for the books you want to import. Simply enter the name of the book and then select it.
- Manually select the books you want to import. Selecting less books results in a faster import time.
- Click the Import button to start the import.
When the the Chrome Extension has completed fetching your Kindle Highlights, click the Upload Highlights button to import them into Clippings.io.
- Upload Highlights button.
When the import is complete you will see the following page.
- Count of how many new highlights and books have been imported.
- Click the VIEW IN EXPLORER button to view all the new Highlights you just imported.
- Click the View button to view the highlights for a specific book.
If you have turned on Auto Exports for any of your Integrations your newly imported Kindle Highlights will be automatically exported to these integrations.
- List of integrations that the new highlights will automatically be exported to.
- Rate the Clippings.io Extension in WebStore.
We hope you love the Clippings.io Chrome Extension. If you do please do us a tremendous favor and take two seconds to rate our Extension by clicking here.
Please find a visual guide to Clippings.io Browser Extension.
- Click the Clippings.io Icon to launch the browser extension.
- Clicking the All button selects all your books. All of your books with be imported when you click the import button.
- Clicking the Clear button deselects all your books.
- Clicking the Not Imported only selects books which have highlights made since your last import. Using this option is the fastest way of importing your Highlights because you are ignoring books you have already imported.
- Clicking the Refresh button refreshes the list of books in the dialog. This is sometimes useful if you have a slow internet connection.
- Shows tha date when you last performed an import using the Chrome Extension.
- Search for the Books you want to import.
- Tick the books which you want to import.
- Books can be sorted by their name or the last time they were annotated.
- The number of books you have selected to be imported.
- Click the Import button to start importing your Kindle Highlights for the books you have selected.
- The Amazon region the Browser Extension is connected to. See Choosing your Amazon Region
- Switch the Browser Extension to be linked to a different Clippings.io account. See Switching to a different Clippings.io Account.
- The version of the Chrome Extension. The Chrome Extension will automatically update and match the version number on the Chrome Store.
Choosing your region sets the Amazon Kindle Highlights page that the Browser Extension uses to read your Kindle Highlights from. All countries use https://read.amazon.com/ to store Kindle Highlights except Japan which uses https://read.amazon.co.jp.
The Chrome Extension does not work with Chinese Amazon accounts because Amazon.cn does not currently have a Kindle Highlights page. Chinese users can still import their Kindle Highlights by Importing the My Clippings.txt file.
When you first use the Browser Extension it asks you to connect the extension to your Clippings.io account. If you would like to connect the Browser Extension to a different Clippings.io account you can use the switch account functionality.
- Click your Avatar in the top right corner.
- Click the Switch Account button.
Ensure you are signed into https://my.clippings.io using the Clippings.io account you want to connect the Extension to and then press the Connect Account button.
When your Browser Extension is linked to your Clippings.io account you will see the message below.
Updating the Chrome Extension
The Clippings.io Chrome Extension gets automatically updated in Chrome whenever a new version is rolled out. The automatic update process is controlled by Google and the extension may not be instantly updated.
Whenever you use the Chrome Extension we will automatically check that you are on the latest version. In very rare occasions you may find your browser hasn't got the last Clippings.io Chrome Extension installed. If you are not on the lastest Clippings.io Browser Extension you will see the message below.
If this happens you can either close and reopen your browser, which should fix the issue. If this does not work please follow the instructions in the dialog, shown above, to force an update of the extension.
- Type chrome://extensions into the Chrome address bar.
- Turn on Developer mode.
- Click the Update button.